Historic Articles

People like you write historic articles for the Museum. They do copious research and spend a significant effort to craft the fabulous works featured here. The most recently published article is below and be sure to read for the additional articles in the left margin. We are grateful for our volunteers' efforts.
If you are intested in becoming a writer for MHM, please contact Marcie Miller at 415.382.1182 or email her at [email protected]
Left:  Hand written letter from Louise Arner Boyd written from her cabin on the Veslekari
           regarding the opening of the Golden Gate Bridge, June 25, 1935

By the late 1870s,
about 11,000 people, one-quarter of Marin’s population, were of
Irish heritage.

Their prominence prompted some to label the county “Little Ireland”.

More Articles

Sausalito’s Evolving Aspirations​​​​​​
By Robert L. Harrison, March 2018

In just over fifty years, Sausalito’s residents swung from determined advocates fighting to remain part of a critical state highway system to proponents that Sausalito’s identity from the Highway 101 freeway be diminished. ​​
Download
Bridgeway, Bridge Way or Bridgeway Boulevard
By Robert L. Harrison, July 2018

It is a scenic and intersting drive along Bridgeway along Sausalito's downtown and waterfront. For most of the history of the town the street was known as Water Street.
Download
Murder in San Rafael
By Brian Crawford, July 2018

It was June 28th, 1846, a warm, pleasant summer day in San Rafael.  A few residents of the sleepy little Mexican settlement were anxious. Word had reached them that a group of American settlers had attacked an Army outpost in Sonoma.
Download

St. Patrick’s Day in San Rafael – 1878

Written By Robert L. Harrison, March 2018
The Irish have contributed significantly to the development of Marin since the first Europeans settled in the county. In the first half of the 19th  century, three natives of Ireland were granted large land holdings that totaled nearly 64,000 acres or about one- fifth of the county. In 1834, the Mexican Governor of California awarded the first land grant to Dublin-born John Reed. Reed acquired the nearly 8,000-acre Rancho Corte Madera del Presidio, an area that covered most of today’s Corte Madera, Mill Valley and the Tiburon Peninsula.
In 1836 another Irishman, James Berry, was granted the Rancho Punta de los Reyes, some 35,000 acres in West Marin. Rancho San Pedro, Santa Margarita y Las Gallinas was granted in 1844 to Irish native Timothy Murphy. This Rancho, over 21,000 acres, comprised most of present-day San Rafael including today’s Marinwood, Lucas Valley, Terra Linda, Santa Venetia and the San Pedro Peninsula.

By the late 1870s, about 11,000 people, one-quarter of Marin’s population, were of Irish heritage. Their prominence prompted some to label the county “Little Ireland”. Though the Irish settled throughout the county, they were particularly attracted to Point Reyes in west Marin and San Rafael in the east.

The celebration of St. Patrick’s Day in San Rafael in 1878 was described in the March 21st  edition of the Marin Journal: “Second Annual Celebration in San Rafael -- A Gorgeous Pageant – A Brilliant Poem – Thrilling Oration – A Grand Success.” Given the number of Irish in the county, it’s somewhat surprising the event was only in its second year.

 The Ancient Order of Hibernians (AOH) sponsored the St. Patrick’s Day celebration.  The plans for the day were detailed in Journal advertisements. The 1878 Grand Marshal was Martin Van B. Miller, second son of James Miller. The elder Miller was a native of Ireland and, in 1845, one of Marin’s earliest residents. He also owned 8,000 acres in different parts of the county. The Grand Marshal’s uniform was described as a sash of green silk with gold trimmings, a gold badge, a black hat with white and green plumes and a gilt baton. Uniform descriptions for the other parade officers were equally specific.

The Journal anticipated the procession: “…at the appointed hour, the various divisions swung into line, and the whole cavalcade moved with almost military precision… The officers of the day were particularly noticeable for their rich and elegant regalia, as well as martial bearing…the axmen and color bearers of the Fire Company were followed by the Tamalpais Brass Band, whose rendition of many stirring and beautiful airs…was the theme of universal commendation… Then followed the San Rafael Hose and Hook and Ladder Company No. 1 in their gay uniform….the triumphal car containing the Goddess of Liberty and maids representing the States of the Union…the Irish car with the Maid of Erin…the Ancient Order of Hibernians…a car with orphans from St. Vincent’s Asylum, followed by a long line of citizens in carriages, saddle and on foot.”

Following the march up and down Fourth Street, paraders and celebrants would move to the Laurel Grove picnic ground (near today’s Picnic and Woodland Avenues) for the Literary Exercises including music by the band, a poem, recitation, oration and the song – “God Save Ireland”. At the Laurel Grove pavilion, Bernard T. Miller, the third son of James Miller, read a poem that ended “And we’ll pray Oh just God of battle, smile on us as we sweep tyrants proud from our own lovely shore, May all the false-hearted and vile traitors shun us when we crown thee, fair Erin, with freedom once more.” According to the Journal, the poem and the oration that followed were “...frequently interrupted by applause…and at its close the enthusiasm was unbounded.”

The AOH President of the Day announced that music and dancing would then commence and continue until nightfall. As reported in the Journal: “So closed one of the most memorable parade days ever seen in this county.”